Saturday, June 20, 2009

First Post from India

Yep, I'm in India! I'm spending the summer in New Delhi, India, interning with the Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative. I've been here a little over a week, and now that I have internet access and a functioning computer, I'm going to be blogging about my adjustment to a new and different society.

I'm not really going to chronicle what I'm doing on a day-to-day basis, because for the most part, I'm doing the same things here as I would be doing if I were living in the States or many other countries: going to work, hanging out with friends, grocery shopping, etc. The interesting part (at least to me) is not exactly what I'm doing, but the differences in how those things are done here, as opposed to the US.

I'll be posting some photos here, but every photo I take will eventually end up on my flickr page, so check there to see what I've been seeing. There may be some lag between me writing about a topic and actually having pictures to go along with the story. This is primarily because digital cameras aren't very common (at least where I live), so a good way to draw attention to yourself (and receive a 50% price increase from the street vendors) is to start snapping photos. I'll probably start taking a lot more photos within the next couple weeks, but for now, every day seems to bring a new surprise, so I don't want a camera getting in my way as I learn to negotiate Indian society. For now, enjoy a poorly-composed shot of a tree and, well, mostly a tree.

IMG_3867.JPG

No comments: